Are you under 65 years of age, have a disability and wish to receive government funded services through the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)?  A comprehensive disability care plan is essential to maximising the funding you receive, and also ensuring that the services you receive best meet your needs.

To create a care plan, you will need to work with a government approved care planner (also called a NDIS local area co-coordinator), and may also be entitled to funding to engage others to help you plan and manage your NDIS funded care.

A government-funded supports coordinator can help you find and locate appropriate supports and services, particularly where you are unsure of what is available in your community and how you access those.

If you are considering self-managing your plan, you can also include in your plan education services to teach you how to manage your NDIS funding (in government speak, this is called “capacity building“). For example, you might engage a bookkeeper to teach you how to pay invoices and computerise expense tracking, or you may engage another profession to teach you how to compile reports you will need to send to the NDIS.

It is essential that you obtain the right, independent support in creating your care plan – it is the most important document for maximising the support and services you need.  Contact Faileen James for professional assistance with NDIS Care Planning.

In dealing with any government organisation, including the NDIS Agency, it is important to keep copies of ALL documentation provided. It is also very important that you make notes of ALL communications (phone conversations, email exchanges, letters etc) that you send and receive from your care planner and other government officers.  Your notes should record the name of the person you spoke with (even if it is several, if you are “given the run around” and transferred to different officers, plus the date and time of the communications.  Remember, the NDIS is a very large bureaucracy and you will be one of millions of people who communicate with it – given that, paperwork may be lost or misplaced. By keeping good records and notes, then you should only be temporarily disadvantaged if it is your paperwork that is lost.

If you need a strong advocate to support you in negotiating with the NDIS bureaucracy contact Faileen for professional assistance.

See also: