Faileen James is the Director of James & Button Services Pty Ltd, a portfolio firm offering a range of services to individuals and organisations. The firm has expertise in areas such as strategy and operational improvement, governance and management leadership including operational and governance evaluation and monitoring, services and system planning, change management, human resources advice, risk management and conflict resolution.
Faileen has unwavering commitment to:
Integrity, accountability and transparency:
“I hold myself and my team to the highest standards and proudly stand by my work. Trust is my currency, integrity is at my core.”
Commitment to excellence:
“I work tirelessly to provide outstanding insight and analysis which challenge mediocrity, and promote development.”
“I value the investment you’ve made in your team and your resources and want to make sure both are being utilised to their full potential.”
Equitable access to services:
“I want to make sure that people who need extra support receive it – I am a strong advocate for equal and fair access to social services.”
- Registered Solicitor with current practising certificate
- Certificate in International Company Directorship, Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Executive Master of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Laws (with Honours)
- Bachelor of Business, majoring in Accountancy (Distinction)
- Nursing qualifications in General, Midwifery (High Distinction) and Paediatric Nursing
EngagementsFaileen’s engagements have included:
- Project leadership for development and implementation of a national antimicrobial resistant IT system across all Australian health jurisdictions.
- Statewide and regional health and social services and infrastructure planning.
- Support to individual employees, SMEs and not-for-profit organisations in human resource management.
- Leading change management within organisations including organisational restructure, governance improvement, strategic visioning and realignment and business and project analysis and planning.
- Provided strategic, operational and business-transition advice for a rapidly expanding for-profit disability service provider.
- Facilitated and presented International Women Leaders learning groups.
- Provided strategic advice on, and was part of the selection panel for, the recruitment of aged care consultants for a new insurance industry product within the aged care sector.
- Facilitated collaborative planning workshops for a State government, for improving services to SMEs.
- Provided strategic advice, and drafting constitutional and other documentation, regarding incorporation of community-based organisations and philanthropic Foundations.
- Coached and supported senior managers (including Pacific Island residents) as part of professional development workshops.
- Led localised community-development planning and implementation projects.
Faileen has held CEO and senior executive positions in State and local government, including Queensland Health, a regional city council, and small and large not-for-profit organisations. Prior to holding these Executive positions, Faileen was a Partner in a Law Firm practising predominantly in the areas of industrial relations and workplace/employment law, health law and general litigation. Faileen represented clients in all major jurisdictional forums. Faileen has also held positions as a University Lecturer and Professional Education Lecturer. She is a regular speaker and panellist at conferences and professional development seminars.
Faileen has also held numerous Board and Committee positions, including:
- Secretary (previously Chair), Women’s Health Queensland Wide Inc.
- Queensland Law Society Health and Disability Committee
- Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital Consumer Representation and Health Safety & Quality Committees
- Public Health Association Aust. Women's Health Special Interest Group
- Goodman Foundation
- Wesley Mission Ipswich
- Blue Care Qld, and its Finance and Audit Committee
- Uniting HealthCare (Group Corporate Entity of 5 Private Hospitals)
- Wesley Hospital Brisbane
- St Stephens Hospital, Maryborough Qld
- Xavier Ltd (an organisation that provides services to children with severe disabilities)
- Family Planning Qld – held positions of Board Deputy Chair, Chair of the Board Governance Committee and Member, Nursing Advisory Committee
- Sexual Health and Family Planning Australia – held positions of President, Vice President and Treasurer
- Asia Pacific Regional Council of International Planned Parenthood Foundation. (One of two Australian representatives)